Sunday, July 19, 2009

FRESHMEN YEAR -1957

BY EBB,CHERRIE,CORA,PURI & SARI
"ONCE IN A WHILE"
Once in a while will you try to give one little thought to me
Though someone else maybe nearer your heart
Once in a while will you dream of themoments i shared with you.
Moments before we two drifted apart.

I know that I'll be contented with yesterdays memory
Knowing you think of me once in a while.......................
CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKS TO ROSELANI FOR THESE NAMES: Freshmen year picture came out clearly for me, and will name our classmates by rows. I apologize that I could not remember the names of our other classmates. I remember the faces of some of them but cannot recall their names. The others are really blank to me. Ebb (Evelyne D.) where are you in the picture? I am kind of hesitant to point you out as I am not sure.. The "X" are the ones I could not name. I am also missing Sonia Alvarez. I guess she was absent when the class picture was taken.
Here's the updated names from Sari:
FRESHMEN:
First row from left: Mary Felix, Baby O'Brien, Tita Ang, Hana Gomez, Sylvia Estrella, Vicky Saldana, Celia Espiritu, X , Mrs Vergara, Mrs. Concepcion, Lita Ramos, Aurora Castro, Linda Chacon, Corazon Herrera , Susan Vergara, X, Ma. Teresita Castro, Charito Silva.
From left to right...2nd row: X, Dolores Luz Bacaltos, Lydia Zulueta, Preciosa Conde, Lourdes Reyes, Evelyn Nazareth, X, Perla Barretto, Puri Capistrano, Wenefrida Noble, Erlinda Mantes,Victoria Madina, Sonia Realesa, X, X, X, X, Elizabeth Amith(?), Segundina (?), Elouisa Dizon
3rd row: Norma Reyes, Evelyne Dirige, Cirila Vito, Mae Retino, Olive Abella, X (Rory you shd know her; you have her picture), Leonides Lucas, Carmen Parraga, Teresita Deboma, X, Didi Alejo, Manon Baranda, Georgina Hernandez, Carina Gregorio, Myrna Mendoza(?), Teresita Lonzame, Cecilia Chua,, X, X, X
4th row: Elsie Baban, X, Aurora Villanueva, Natividad Sanchez, Flordeliza Alcantara, Polita Uy, Neria Conate, X, Nancy (?), Belinda Carino, Zenaida Matanguihan, Sari, X, Adoracion Custodio, Rose Lani, X, X, Corazon Fausto, Catalina (Patsy) Sillona, Lillia Villa
5th row: Celina Cruz, X, X, X, X, X, Carmen Exconde Teresita Platon, Cynthia Ugalde, Teresita Rivera, Lolita Agustin, Raquel Tadena, Joselita Agustin, Milagros Caballes, Maria Luisa Recacho,, X, Amparo Lejano, Araceli Miranda, Patricia (Bong) Arroyo.
Let me know if you anyone of you can recognize those that I missed.

EBB'S E-TALK: The above lyrics are taken from the famous sentimental song by Nat King Cole "Once In A while." This is also the favorite song of Cora.Why? I have no idea? Cora, it's up to you to tell us why? I know we all have many secrets in life. At this age, I think it's time to spill the beans or get out of our shell and share our secrets. Those classmates who have not utter a word, please speak up. Kahit once in a while only, let's think of each other and say something.
It just seemed yesterday when I was in our freshman year. Parang "kahapon lamang," noon pala lagpas na nang 50 years. Long before I became a freshman, I was already familiar with the PWU campus. Two of my eldest sisters graduated from PWU high school. I was the third daughter from our family who attended PWU. I was there w/ my parents and sisters whenever they had Christmas programs and other special events. I saw them graduated from PWU. So I was inspired to follow their footsteps.

Then came first day of freshman year and I was very disappointed. Our classroom was in an old quonset hut. I attended a public school during elementary and our building was even nicer and better. And it was free. PWU is a private school and the tuition was not cheap. Our classroom was a quonset hut. Anyway, the new classmates and freinds I had made there made up for my early dissapoinment. The freshman year went by so fast and the next year in sophomore, we were in a nice building. Hurray! And rah! Rah! Rah!
ACQUAINTANCE PARTY- This yearly event was one of my favorite one during high school days.
Description: Courtesy of Sari: Acquaintance Party (di lahat yon lang infront at visible) Cherrie, di ko kilala yong partial face at nakatalikod, Ikaw, Wena (behind you), Deboma (her first name escapes me at the moment), Roberta San Agustin, Gergie H (yong prisoner ng cannibals), Sonia A. standing sa backgrd,; 3 with spears - cannot identify yong partially hidden sa likod - Piping Itlog (Ma. Paz Uychuico, Celia Cruz in frnt)
WELCOME HATS TO YOU ALL!!!!! We'd like to welcome classmates added to our e-grp list - Bobby, Wena & Teresita. Thanks to Cora for contacting Bobby and of course to Agent Sari for dicovering the whereabout of Wena & Teresita. Will post more about them later.
I finally received the CD yearbook from Esther last week. I just finished looking at the photos. Esther told me that when I get the CD of our year book photos.....
"hahagulgol ako." In fact I had the opposite reaction. "Nakakatuwa" to see my past classmates even in photos only. The other night (hindipa dumating yun year book) I saw many classmates in my dream. I never dreamed about h.s. classmates before. Since I started doing the PWU blog, everyone is getting closer to me.
CHERRIE'S CORNER:
Finally Cherrie is back. I'd like to share her personal e-mail to me. Hi Evelyne, I feel so bad that it has taken me a long time to email you (you personally), but aside from all the everyday tasks on hand, emailing is a little difficult for me. In analyzing (or giving excuses) for this "odd" behavior, I think it is because there is so much I want to say and I get overwhelmed - also - I tend to censor my thoughts and sentences so much that in the end I don't write down anything. Believe it or not I'll think about what to say, and then I'll rephrase it in my mind and I'll keep rephrasing it and never get around to actually sitting down and typing it. How is that for an excuse? Anyway, if you feel you want to include that excuse in my contribution to the blog, please fell free to do so.
Speaking of the blog, I think (I know!) I did not finish putting in all the info I needed to as a contributor. I think the phone rang while I was in the middle of doing it and somehow I never got back to it. How do I finish that task? What do I do to get back in? As you can tell, I am not
savvy with the computer.
By the way, I am TRULY impressed by the blog you have started and created. It is AWESOME and I am positive it has definitely brought us all closer emotionally. What an accomplishment! Congratulations and thank you for giving us this opportunity to "come" together 50 years later and feel a bond with each other that is unbelievable and rare. I was talking to Girlie and Esther one night (Esther initiated the conference call) and Girlie said she believes the Philwomenians have a bond with each other that is very strong. I agree and as Sari very efficiently brings the class back together, it really feels good.... very good in fact. I know some of you are wondering why not everybody has joined in this emailing but rest assured, whatever their reason is, they are enjoying it. I know I am! So - let us (or you the regulars) keep it going.
Last night I started to read a book entitled The Girls from Ames by Jeffrey Zaslow. It is a story about 11 women and their forty year friendship. Gosh - ours has been more than fifty years! What is important though is it tells about the unique bond between women as they go through the different phases of life. I still have a long way to go in the book but it might be interesting for some of you to pick up the book and see the parallel situations in our lives and we can exchange thoughts later.
On an aside Evelyne, I went to your website and was of course very impressed. It is amazing how you have ventured into the art world late in life and have been truly successful. Kudos to you! I especially like seeing the pictures of your daughters graduation. My daughter is in art too and when you have time, you may visit her website. Gosh, I can't remember the name but I guess if you google her name Tessa McSorley, it will lead you to the website.
This has been Long (way too LONG) for me so I 'll just click on send to get it on its way. As I said I have addressed this to just a few people but feel free to use parts of it as my contribution to the blog. I hope we see each other soon.
CHEER'S FROM CORA'S:
Hi Classmates, I just visited our blogspot - which I have not visited after quite sometime.Very interesting and is really fun. I hope we can hav more names and more people giving in their comments.Please remember- this is not for just a small group. This is for everybody. One reason why you probably see much of our names there- is because we want to keep it going. BUT - this is FOR THE WHOLE CLASS. So - we enjoin everyone to write in and contribute.I like the photos that evelyne has posted. Although- I admit - I am not sure kung makikilala ko si Evelyne right away- as Sari was able to do. Good looking talaga yang si Sari. Isang LOOK lang- alam na niya. Amd so is Evelyne who recognized Sari right away. But then again - Sari's features did not change much. I think Evelyne's did (of course I have to see you in person before making that final judgment). I hope our new recruit- BOBBY DE LOS SANTOS will enjoy the blogspot and will also contribute. CHERRY: read your email to Evelyne. That pocketbook you were reading sounds interesting!!!. Sari- I am glad you can now do email in your apartment.At di lang yun- nagtatawag ka pa sa PIlipinas. I suggest you link up with NBI, CIA and Interpol - to locate our missing classmates.Hinahanap ko pa din si Maria Pilar Victoria Medina and a lot of them . Where is Muriel hagos?
PURI'S PERSPECTIVE:
Ebb, thank you again for the new blog postings. Parang kwentohan outside the campus.katakot-takot na mini reunions,parang walang katapusan na halakhakan. Sana nga walang katapusan habang may hininga pa tayo.Isa isa na tayong namamaalam. I'm in San Diego now and in LA tomorw sayang di tayo magkikita. But we come here often. So tayong tatlo ni Evelyn N ang 3 musketeers dito.
Many of us just want to communicate on a one on one basis which is also good. An open line of communication that is not for public consumption. Personal messages oftentimes.I get those too. But its best for them to participate in our class chitchat.To feel like we are around a bonfire, by the beach, or a fireside chat, or tsismis over the fence or a tea party. Like you said it should be like a Cafe where we can let down our hair and just be ourselves. No teachers to grade or censor out thoughts. Just let our fingers do the typing without planning what to say. Doing this is the fastest way to be in touch.
SARI SPEAKS:
Evelyne is now in possession of our year book pictures that Esther painstakingly took time to scan - individually. Evelyne is excited to receive them from Esther. Evelyne plans to post the "active" members of our class in the Blog. It would be nice if each of us would send by e-mail a copy of our current pictureto Evelyne so she can post the "then and now" pictures side by side. Please try your best to e-mail your picture. (Just a reminder from Ebb: Please send you "NOW" photos in JPEG only. Her computer will not accept other format).
SARI'S SPECTACULAR SERIES:
Last Saturday, I ventured to call Preciosa (Precy) Conde Ramos. Although I could not reach her, Precy called back not knowing who tried calling her. We had a good chat and got an update on each other. She was responsible for helping me find Lillia's whereabouts. Before I go on though, let's keep Precy in our prayers. It seems her breast CA has recurred and she is currently getting chemo treatment. Precy has 3 grown up sons and they are all living in Ontario area. Lillia Villa Javier finished medicine in FEU and set up her practice at her Mom's hometown in Malinao, Albay. Here is Lillia's contact info: Payahan, Malinao, Albay. Tel 0927-414-5433; (son's cellphone - 0917-862-9483). I had a good chat with Lillia's half-sister who lives in Chicago area. - My finding Lillia is not at a good time - in the sense that her husband died last week and would be buried on Tue. July 14. I did not call Lillia cause I did not know what to say at a time like this - esp. after 49 years of having no contact with her. I'll call her after Tuesday. Let's pray for the repose of Lillia's husband (forgot to ask his name). He was a doctor and a collegue /classmate of hers. I tried calling Gerry & Lani last night, but could not reach either one. - Lani, I called to tell you that Bobby (Corazon) de los Santos might try calling you. I was in a calling mood last night and called everyone who lives in the Philippines, but have not yet been contacted. All the phone numbers (for Precy Cervantes and Lulu Pagulayan) are non-working phone numbers. The only correct one is that of Bobby's. I spoke with someone at her house and told her about the upcoming reunion and gave Lani's phone number for more details. Lani - that's the reason why I called. Wrong timing pa kasi you were taking your once a month bath (oops - sorry I revealed your secret to our classmates - [friends/classmates don't believe my statement about once a month bath; twice a month naman he he he]) Lani (or Cora), please follow up my call to Bobby - her phone no. is 921-5620. Thanks.Sari Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it out.
AN OLD E-MAIL FROM TESS CASTRO (Puri)
Dear Ladies.... I have decided to say something finally (but note that I have been a fan of your e-mail exchanges). I belong to another category (No. 4)... which is that I missed out on most of the fun and camaraderie in high school, thus I am unable to contribute much to our "golden memories". You see, on our sophomore year we were lectured in class about overstaying in the campus after school hours (by Ms. Tolentino), so I quit on my lakwatsa after school hours. But in our freshman year, I remember being around with Roselani, Girlie, Corazon Herrera, and Girlie's younger sister. Have we any news on Aurora Castro and Lilia Villa? I sent a note to Preciosa Conde (cousin of Lilia) in Canada (per Cirila's/Sari's directory) because no one answers the phone. Hope she is okay....any news about Precy? Thanks also to the existence of this directory, I was able to telephone Evelyn Nazareth, Renita Abary, and Eloisa Dizon. Is Carina Gregorio (Atty. Dedo) around? Haven't seen/noticed any "movement" from her side. Is Celia back from her trip abroad? Re reunion, I plan to come and a week before and a week after Feb. 20. and am willing to go along with whatever plans you decide. Am looking foward to seeing you all again. For now, my regards to all... Tessie
REPLY FROM ROSELANI: Yes, you're right Chola. We were close when we were in Freshmen year along with Girlie, Belinda, Sonia, and Joselita. Celia was our classmate during the first month, and she was transferred to Sari's class. Am I right Celia?
During the early part of our Freshmen year, our topic of discussion was "how we felt" with our monthly visitor. For most of us, it was a new uncomfortable experience. I remember Belinda's story that she screamed when it happened to her. Madrama siya. And I remember Mrs.. Concepcion teaching us how to take care of our hygiene. How did we manage then, hindi pa uso yong "napkin" ng 1955-1956 di ba? And wearing white pa tayo. Amazing that we went through that without experiencing too many accidents.
FROM EBB: HAVE TO SIGN OFF, AT NOVEL NA ITONG BLOG NATIN. TILL NEXT BLOG!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hello folks..

    My name is Marlon Ramos, oldest son of Preciosa Conde Ramos. I just wanted to informed everyone that my mother passed away October 12th, after a long battle with cancer. She fought to the very end. She is loved and will always be remembered by her family/friends.

    I so much enjoyed the conversations you've all had here and the stories that were shared. It showed how wonderful of a time my mother had at PWU. She spoke fondly of her school years.

    ReplyDelete