Monday, October 19, 2009

OH.. LA...LA.....LA...... THE OCAMPO SISTERS

Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend - or a meaningful day.Dalai Lama quotes (Head of the Dge-lugs-pa order of Tibetan Buddhists, 1989 Nobel Peace Prize, b.1935)
E-TALK BY EBB: It's amazing how fast the days rolled by when one is extremely busy. Soon it will be another Halloween this coming Saturday. Here at the U.S. it's a big events w/ young and old putting on their best or scary costumes. It was 39 Halloween's ago when I met my husband, so we always celebrate it. We plan to dine outside and not give away to trick or treaters. Instead of buying bags of expensive candies, we will buy movie tickets. We will relax and enjoy a new romantic movie like "Amelia." I like Hilary Swank and Richard Gere and surely they will add sparks to old flames. My husband and I are inseparable.
Our blog this week is also about inseparable sisters- Nati and Tessie Ocampo. I am delighted to know that Tessie and Nati are still very close after all these years. When I first met them in high school I thought they were unique sisters. I don't know any sisters who went to school same year, same class , who are as close as them. Good to know of their separate and successful careers. I am impressed also w/ Tessie's artistic talent. We have the same creative minds and hopefully someday she will be willing to assist me to make our blog more imaginative. Medyo hesitant siya. She thinks blogging is like doing math.
After months of waiting for their bios and one grand kid photo here they are. Sorry, that I could no longer wait for some photos to come because I plan to post today. I will be away from my computer starting this Wednesday and will NOT be back till Sunday night. Those who have something to share please send me your bios and photos very soon. Our file is almost empty. Of course I could always fill the gaps with photos and stories about myself but I don't like to be selfish. I'd like everybody to be in our PWU blog.
FROM NATI OCAMPO (H.S. Photo 1960-right top): Glad to see you're back. I just read our BLOG, it is so entertaining and refreshing as always. Ebb, for all it's worth, here's my short Bio.
I took up a year of Fine Arts with my sister, Tessie, at UST after high school, but found out that although I loved art, it didn't love me back. In other words, it was a one-way love affair. I don't know why, because there were a few artists in our family - an uncle who was a sculptor, a brother who was a comic illustrator, a cousin who was an advertising artist who now does serious painting, and of course, my sister Tessie who, as you know, has a keen sense and taste for art.
I finished a secretarial course at the Holy Ghost College where I met a new set
of friends, and I liked the idea of landing a job immediately after graduation. My first job was as a medical secretary, followed by other jobs as executive secretary for American companies, the last one being the executive secretary to the Director of Southeast Asia, Evenflo Philippines Inc., before immigrating to Canada.
In Canada I worked for the President of Burndy Inc, a job I enjoyed very much. When my boss retired, I decided to make a change and worked for the Toronto Police Service until my retirement in 2007. I had the greatest honor of working with "Toronto's Finest" - the detectives at 42 Division, one of the largest within Metro Toronto. I was one of the support staff for the criminal investigative bureau and was assigned to the Sexual Assault and Child Abuse section. It was a job I cherished with all my heart, having learned the discipline and hard work of the detectives I worked with in order to solve a case. I helped in the preparation and movement of their cases in court, even liaising with court officers and the Attorney Generals office. All the hard work paid off I guess, because I received an award for "Teamwork Commendation".
After all said and done, I think the best job for me is still being the mother of my two sons, Phil and Marlon. Both finished their university education and are both leaders in their field. I am now retired and certainly enjoy doting on my two grandchildren, Gabrielle and Justin
- from my oldest son, Phil. In December, there will be another grandchild, this time from my youngest son, Marlon. I can hardly wait for this one.
My other interests: Yoga, reading books of Dr. Daniel Amen and Nicholas Kristoff, gardening, visiting friends.

Favorite movie: Love is a Many Splendored
Thing
Favorite song: A Certain Smile
TESSIE OCAMPO (HIGH SCHOOL-1960-left photo)
NOW TOG - TESSIE OCAMPO GUERRA
SHORT AUTO+BIO I completed an Associate of Fine arts degree at the College of the Holy Spirit,and went to work for an uncle who had a blouse and embroidery factory in Manila. After that I worked for textile companies as a textile designer , first was Central Textiles , then General Textiles Inc. where I met Greg, who was a Chemical Engineering graduate heading the Quality Control and where I worked with Lindus Carreon Arambulo, also from PWU but 2 years ahead of us I think. She and I really became good friends until now - after the kids came I became a wallpaper designer for Wallcrown , Sunworthy and finally F.Schumacher & Co. in New York for 4 years as a designer and stylist of the Village lines, next to their Waverly lines.This is where the book I designed , patterns and fabrics won an award for the company- the Estar Awards. If I had known Sari was in N.Y. I would have stayed- I felt alone there ( I lived with the nuns on 24th street ),as the kids were in university( my son by the way made it as an Architect ( working now in N.Y.)and my daughter is an IT) and Greg was working in New Brunswick ( eastern Canada ). As it went I resigned before my green card was started.It still is a long story and really checkered with different career experiences as an Interior Decorator and Product Designer for homes. I relish the experiences and travels, to the most parts of the U.S. and Europe, and I guess my abhorrence of Mathematics was somewhat on the sidelines during that time. I did not course the graphics area, Ebb, until now I am still a handpainter and just an old fashioned artist.I bet you are a savy computer designer, which is why I may not be able to do the blog as good as you can. I have to confess Computer is like Math to me. There you are Ebb, in a capsule, it is still just plain me- just loving my FAMILYand FRIENDS (like you guys) ! I adore my grandkids- Anastasia ( my daughter's ), Aidan and Zack ( from my son) and enjoy my walks with my senior doggies Life goes on, the simpler the better. It felt nice to share with you - Ebb and friends. More power to us and all !!

Ebb ,
For your blog:
I just got this photo of my granddaughter - Anastasia ( 3 yrs & 8 months ) She will be featured in the Greater Toronto Calendar 2010. I will send my 2 grandsons photos soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    This is an excellent article. I usually don’t post on blogs but ya forced me to, great info.. excellent! I will add and bookmark your site. The majority of the correspondence in the collection is that of Angelica Ocampo, sister of Victoria and Silvina who, while not a writer herself, was supportive of the efforts of her two sisters to write and publish. Her correspondence includes one folder of letters by Silvina Ocampo (1903-1993), as well as letters from other friends and relatives.

    nano

    ReplyDelete