Saturday, April 10, 2010

Marlene de Leon Leyson- filling the 50 yrs. gap



Name: Marlene Leyson Y de Leon
Parents: Dr. Pablo de Leon of Paranaque, Rizal and Laura Carmona of Tuegegarao, Cagayan
Attended: Elementary - St, Paul's College, Class of 1956
High School - St. Scholastica College 1956-1958
Phil. Women’s University 1958-1960
College - Phil. Women's University - B.S. in Nutrition, 1964

Of all the schools I attended, I felt the most at home at P.W.U. I experienced the difference between the Catholic School's strict rules and standards to P.W.U 's well rounded approach to education. I was happy in all my years at P.W.U. but I told my son that my happiest years were in High School. He mentioned this at his Valedictory address in 1988.

After Graduation, I worked for 3 months as a volunteer at NIH. I left the Philippines on Oct. 30 1964 for San Francisco, California. I was hired and worked at St. Mary's Hospital until Aug.1968. I met Alberto Leyson in Sept 1965 while in San Francisco. We had a whirlwind romance and got married on Oct. 30, 1965. We are still happily married after 44 years. We are blessed with 2 sons Robert Paul and Joseph Simon. I did not work for 7 years; was a stay at home Mom watching my sons grow. Those were good years. Bobby graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems. Joey has a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering. Both are happily married. We are blessed with three grandchildren, Mark, Zachary and Benjamin.

I went back to work in 1975 but changed career. I was fortunate that I was able to work in a laboratory, Olin Water Service. Later moved to W.S.S.C., a bi-county water service, and worked there from1977-2000. I retired as a Chemist.

In1989, I told Albert that we have to give back to the Lord since He has given us so many blessings and guided us to make good decisions in life. We are actively serving at St. Columba Church. We got involved in Filipino-Ministry and incorporated some of our Filipino customs and traditions. The ministry has grown and activities expanded. We have Visita Iglesia, Perpetual Help novenas, Tagalog mass, Simbang Gabi, Flores de Mayo, San Lorenzo Ruiz celebrations and much more. We Joined the Parish Council, Sodality, Bereavement, Liturgy and Spirituality Committees. At present, I am still serving as lector and Eucharistic minister. In 2001, I studied for two years at Trinity College in their Education for Parish Service Program. In December 2002, both Albert and I were awarded A Medal of Merit by the Cardinal of the Archdiocese of Washington for Faithful Service to the Church. We are still faithfully serving the church and hope to serve until we are not physically able.

Retirement years are fun years. My interests are gardening, cooking, fishing and traveling. So my dear classmates, I tried to fill the gaps of the last fifty years. Looking forward to seeing you all in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment