Sunday, September 27, 2009

CREATIVE EXCURSIONS FROM THE PAST-PART 2

''If memories are riches"
I'll always have my memories,
When I am old and gray,
And they at least are something
No one can take away
I could not ask for greater wealth.
Because they are so dear
And I will never wish for more
As long as I am here.
For if they measure riches by
Memories here on earth,
I'll surely be a millionaire-
So great would be their worth.
Harold F. Mohn
EBB'S E-TALK: September is my birthday month and I am a Libra. My 66th birthday is coming up soon.....in about 2 days. Tonight, I just came back from an intimate birthday celebration with my two sons, husband, Joy and John (bf). They treated me to a sumptuous seafood and prime rib buffet at the famous Cafe Sierra in Hilton Universal, Los Angeles. Had a wonderful time. I am loaded with oysters, jumbo shrimps, lobster, crab legs, ginger crabs, etc. etc. I also came home with bunches of fresh yellow lilies, sunflowers and pink roses. This is an advance celebration w/ my family. Actually, I have a different idea of celebrating my birthday this year. I wish a quiet celebration with just my husband and I. We are taking more than a week trip to Colorado and will visit Aspen, Breckenridge and Beaver Creek. I look forward to the myriads of awesome autumn colors on the state of Colorado.
After months of hard work- packing, sorting our things, fixing and repainting the interior of our house, this is a much deserved vacation. We needed this rest to energize and prepare us for our move and transition to the San Diego area. We thought this is a beautiful way to start a new beginning in a new place. Something happens when you leave routines and responsibilities behind, when you wake up and see beautiful mountains and different landscapes instead of the same old clock and bedspread.
My 65th birthday celebration last year (September 29, 2008) is but a memory. Before I leave for our trip, I'd like to share some photos. Although I lost my hearing at mid-life, like the poem above, no one can take my memories away. Memories linger on. The first photo above (right side) - the harpist and me. She played a beautiful piece and dedicated it to me.
My goal for my 65th birthday was to celebrate it with my first solo art show. I had joined and exhibited in many art shows in the past but never had my own solo art show before.
ABOUT MY PAINTINGS: Most of my new paintings are vibrantly drawn and beautifully inspired by actual events that happened in my life and with my family in the United States and beyond, with bits of nostalgia from my former homeland, the Philippines. The focus of my paintings is mainly on the meaningful and heartful events that have impacted and inspired me over the years. Each painting is infused with a mural-like, storytelling quality. As they say, “a picture is worth a thousand words.” I’d like to share my experiences through visual art. The distinct images are densely ornamented with foods that are rich with bold colors and filled with visual aromas. The coconut trees are dominant images too. I am fascinated with them. They were part of my childhood and I grew up with them. The coconut trees are very graceful, playful and beautiful. We don’t need to hear the noise around us. The more we look at art, the more we see the beautiful world around us.

ABOUT THE ART SHOW: I exhibited 13 huge brand new oil paintings during this special event. Here are some of the oil paintings displayed at the Northbridge Clubhouse in Valencia, Sta. Clarita (California). The theme color was impressionistic to coordinate with my colorful oil paintings. Paintings shown are: First- "Thanksgiving In America-Pinoy Style." Second-"Cheerful Christmas Eve." Third-"Christmas In California." Fourth-"New Year's Eve And New Beginning."

Here's a close-up of one of my oil paintings exhibited:
TITLE: “BIRTHDAY MILESTONES”
MEDIUM: OIL ON CANVAS
SIZE: 48” x 30”
DESCRIPTION: (PAINTED IN 2006)
Birthday celebrations are very important event among Filipinos.They always have a big parties and fiestas for birthday milestones especially the “First Birthday, Eighteenth, Fiftieth, Sixty-fifth, Ninetieth and Hundred Years.” They celebrate with many delicious food not just cake and ice cream. In Filipino tradition, the birthday celebrant treats the guest to a big “blow-out.” American style, is the opposite. Friends treat the celebrant.

Filipino birthday celebration is NOT complete without the favorite lechon (whole roasted pork). This delicious lechon was depicted many times on my latest oil paintings.
Right photo:The huge blue palette was the welcome sign for my art show. The painting on the left is entitled "Sharing Traditions And Enriching Friendship."

Left photo: Ebb posing with her birthday cake and other delicious desserts. I am also wishing "Belated Happy Birthday" to those who turned 65 years old recently and advance birthday greetings to those who are turning 65 this year and next year. "Happy 65th Birthday To All Of You!"

1 comment:

  1. My wishes too on birthday !!This is so a beautiful post !! Lovely shots !!Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete