Saturday, October 10, 2009

SAN FRANCISCO MINI-SOCIAL

PURI'S PERSPECTIVE:Hi All, Yesterday Sept 8th, a lazy day after the long frenetic Labor Day weekend, I was taking it easy. Then while I was beginning to read Ebb's new email and usual call for the new blog post at 4:15pm, the phone rang. It was Evelyn NZ asking me if she can pick me up after getting off work in 15 minutes to go see Vicky. I said what???right now??? Does Vicky know???She said I will call her after I hang up with you. Although we had planned this before with no particular date or time, it was indeed spontaneous and instantaneous ! Before getting dressed to go, I called Roselani who was still with her Mom doing dialysis at a hospital but said she will get Gu to get her and follow us wherever it may be as we did not know where to go yet. So at exactly 6pm, Vicky eagerly awaited our visit and we found her in good spirits. Last time I saw her was 20 years ago when I was 20 lbs less so she admitted she did not recognize me??!! While waiting for Roselani and Gu, we socialized with Vicky's family who I knew when they were in their teens. Her only daughter Jenny just got married and her son Mike are now both running their business and she is fully retired. She looked at peace and relaxed not like the way we were , so busy minding the stores at Ghirardelli Square of long ago.
Finally, Roselani recommended that we go to Intramuros, a fairly new restaurant in South San Francisco, just 15 minutes away from Vicky's house. Its a tastefully appointed place for fine dining. Simple elegance with 5 giant sized bevelled glass mirrors on the wall. A grand piano lighted from the ceiling by a huge capiz chandelier. They have a big function room for
private parties and the bar area has music with DJ on MonTueWed and a band on ThursFriSatSun. I highly recommend esp for foreign friends to introduce them to our dishes in a classy ambiance. It was Nouvelle Cuisine at best.Their version of kare-kare, although too much heavy annatto color, had thick orange peanut butter sauce.They grilled the eggplants and used it as topping along with other vegtables. Their pork sisig was crispy topped with fried egg. Reminds me of Korean Bibimbap. The cuhol, our escargot was shelled and served with gata. A favorite was Manila Bistek, with thinly sliced deep fried potato chips. Their famous dessert was the Bibingka Souffle. Took 20 minutes to make but melts in your mouth, served on the side with goat cheese and slices of salted red eggs. Fluffiest Bibingka I ever had. Like a meringue souffle but with coconut milk poured in its center to give it that Pinoy taste. It was indeed a gustatory adventure with dear friends and wonderful recollections of yesteryears. Halika na kayo dito.
FROM ROSELANI: Hi Puri, thanks again for dinner last night. It was nice to see you again, and especially Evelyn whom I have not seen for almost 50 years. I was also glad to have found Vicky again. We lost touch when she moved out of her Plymouth house in SF maybe 10 years ago. How time flies, really. Its nice to be connected again.
Enjoyed the "chikahan" and the delicious pork sisig and bistek Manila. And because its free dinner, double enjoyment! Looking forward to another get together. Call me when you hear from Linda. Sana hindi naman ura urada, nakakahingal kasi.
From Evelyn N. - Can you imagine 5 women (some seniors) whooping it up at the restaurant from 7-11 pm? It's good they weren't very busy, or else they may have booted us out. Topics included Vicky's and Linda Chacon's heavily starched uniforms, which classmates/teachers have died, picking things up with your toes, passing between two people talking, retired husbands, etc. I tell you, no topic was off limits. I can just imagine the noise level at the PJ Party during the reunion.

Vicky and husband Carlos Gruela,

(81 yrs old) and daughter Jenny and her husband.
Taken Sept 8,2009 in Vicky's sala

1 comment:

  1. I am really happy to found this site. Programs of The San Francisco Foundation are building on their shared vision for social justice in the Bay Area to co-host a symposium on current immigration issues.

    nano

    ReplyDelete