Friday, July 10, 2009

SOPHOMORE YEAR-1958

BY EBB, CHERRIE, CORA, PURI & SARI " CLOSE TO YOU" - by Frank Sinatra
Close to you - I will always stay
Close to you - though you're far away
You'll always be near- as though you were here, by my side
No matter where in my dreams, I'll find you there
Close to me-sharing your caress
Can't you see - you're my happiness
Wherever you go - my heart will go too, what can I do?
It only wants to be - close to you
SOPHOMORES CLASS NAMES-COUTESY OF AGENT SARI:
1ST ROW: Georgina H; X, Sonia A., X, Carmen Exconde, Susan V., Linda C., Celia A., Mrs. Vergara, Mrs. Runez, Mrs. X, Vicky S, Tita A, Lita R, Charitao S, Azon H, Hana G, Baby O’Brien
2nd row: X, X, Zenaida Maniago, Lydia Z, Wena N, D. Luz Bacaltos, Precy C, Azucena V, Lourdes R, Teresita L, Erlinda M, X, Mae R, Flor A, Segundina(?), Elouisa D, Lillia V, Teresita O, Puri C
3rd row: X, X, X, Polita U, Joselita A, Zenaida M, Ester de Leon, Mila Lapuz, Aurora V, Elisa Solis, Yolly Bello, X, Sonia Realesa, Elsie Baban, Rosario V, Araceli Miranda, Patsy S, X, Evelyn N, Teresita C, Cirila V, Estela A.
4th row: X, Norma R, Cecilia C, Neria Conate, X, X, Rose B, Teresita R, Belinda C, X, Adoracion C, Natividad S, Leonides L, Cora F, Lolita A, X
5th row: Elena Achacoso, Maria Luisa Recacho, X, Raquel T, Naty O, Carmencita P, X, Renita Abary, Elizabeth F, Teresita D, Ampy L, X, Nieves Manotok (was w/ us in 2nd yr only, good in math), Lulu Fuentes, Olive A, Perla B(?), Angelita Castillo(?), Aurora Castro, Bong A, Chita J, Lenore Sunio(?)
Enjoy guessing and let us know you'ver identified that I did not.
EBB'S E-TALK: I am back home with my husband from our trip to New York City & cruise to New England. As always a change of scenery re-energized me and had given me new perspective in life. How I wish life is always a vacation but I think too much relaxation gets boring too. I believe that too much work makes "Golden Girl" dull also. So aiming for a balance life is good. Right now I am slowly getting back to my routine. Also, getting back to our PWU blog. It is like facing a fog. My mind is blank but I will try to write something.
Well, the above song is a favorite of mine and was popularized by Frank Sinatra during our high school days. I know this sentimental song is also a favorite of Sari. I no longer wonder why? I am really amazed at how well she connected with classmates from high school. Despite of many years apart, she is so dedicated in finding many lost classmates. Truly, she kept "close" to many high school classmates. I, on the hand, had not been faithful to this song. When I went to U.P. (a co-ed university) I pursued and nourished new friendships. In high school, I was more like a cocoon that didn't like to emerge. But while in college I was transformed into a sociable butterfly. I was into forming more new friendships than keeping the old ones. But now, I wish I had connected more with high school classmates. Anyway, it's not too late to be "CLOSED" to past classmates and friends.
Our blog's main feature is our sophomore class photo above. During our second year, many of us started to shed our angelic wings and dared sprouting devil's horns on our head. Looking back, that's seemed okay. High school days were fun days and despite of hiding our wings in the closest, many of us turned all right. This week-end blog is about about the many mini-reunions that happened from coast to coast these past weeks. These mini-reunions were wonderful prelude to our coming golden reunion on February 20, 2010. When our golden reunion comes around, I am sure we will no longer be strangers to one other but more "CLOSER" than our high school days. Our golden years have given us more freedom and time to connect, if we set our priorities right. We also remember those classmates who passed away. We will miss them come reunion time. Some are meant to live short lives. Some are meant to live longer. So let's keep in touch and stay close while our time on earth diminish. Life is short.Let me share with you my recent trip to NYC. The best thing that happened during this short trip was seeing Sari again after 49 years. I could hardly believe that I was finally reunited with a historical classmate known as the clone of "Alexander The Great." Now our present overseas "reunion-commander-in-chief." I recognized Sari right away when she met us at the hotel lobby. Ganoon din siya. Kilala niya ako kaagad. We smiled at each other and kissed (cheek to ckeek lang....ha! ha!). Pero walang malakas na halak-hakan. The above photo was taken at the lobby of Grand Hyatt New York.This photo was taken at the Grand Central Station. Sari was our tour guide. She knows NYC in and out. Kaya sunod lang kami kay Commander Sari.
SABI NI SARI SA E-MAIL: "Had a great time with Evelyne Dirige and her husband last Monday. We went to the Oyster Bar restaurant in Grand Central; very convenient because Evelyne and Rhod (her husband) were staying in Hyatt Hotel, which is right next to Grand Central Station. SALO-SALO WITH SARI: First we walked into the Grand Central Station. Then stopped at an Italian restaurant but we wanted sushi or Japanese food. So we kept on walking but didn't find one. Later my husband suggested the"Oyster Bar" which he read about at the American Airline magazine. So that's where we ended and had our dinner. The restaurant served mostly seafood. My husband ordered the grilled sea bass, while Sari and I shared a bowlful of bouillabaisse. I am not a big eater, so it's okay to share. The dish wasn't soupy but thick. The color was quite pale compared to the reddish one I always had. Anyway, the dish tasted good and we finished it. We had a wonderful dinner and chit-chat. Some were personal but I don't like to print them on this blog. Madulas ang dila namin dito dahil Oyster Bar. We were smiling while this photo was taken. Napatawa kami because Sari & I were wearing bibs (parang mga bata) as a protector from the messy dish. We had fun but we were not as noisy as the mini-reunion Sari had with the other golden girls at Toronto. We behaved very well in front of my husband (chaperon). After dinner, Sari took us around for a little sight seeing. New York City is so alive and bright at night. No wonder this city made us feel young again. Then we stopped at a Starbuck cafe for another chitchat. My husband wanted a cup of coffee but Sari & I didn't have coffee. Our dinner date ended so fast. Before we knew it was time to say good-bye. My husband & I had been up since 3:30 a.m (L.A. time) and we were .....too tired to stay late. Besides Sari had to work next day. While we had this mini reunion in the east coast Puri and the other Evelyn also had a mini-reunion at the west coast.
PURI'S PERSPECTIVE: Here's Puri's story as she e-mailed to Bong. Bong! Good to know you're still breathing and also kicking. Pinahanap na kita sa CIA. Sabi ni Agent Sari, you're busy taking care of your elderly neighbors there. Dito ka naman sa San Jose and take care of your aging kumare. Masyado kang popular, your bday perked us all up, another wake up call na matanda na tayo.
"I had wonderful get together with Evelyn Nazareth last night.First time we saw each other since school days.We looked at our HS school photos together and reminisced.She said she lost touch with you since college so I filled her up with your escapades in Karlsruhe with Heinz. I still rememeber our last visit there, what a nice place. We capped the evening by going to Japan town for Sushi, tempura, etc. Yum yum, a change from Via Mare. Walang dinuguaan. Then Agent Sari called to let us know she too also had dinner with the other Evelyne, so it was a coast to coast rendezvous with 2 Evelyns in one night. This is fun!
Finally, Evelyn Nazareth Zabala & Puri Capistrano Laconoco together again. Here's our photo taken at the BROKEN YOLK RESTAURANT at Pacific Beach in San Diego, by Evelyn's house (taken June 7, 2009 Sunday). We had an early breakfast because we had to be in LA by noon to have lunch with our son Ramon III.
Evelyn and I with our waiter Nick who squeezed himself in while Mon was taking our Photo.
CORA'S CHITCHAT: JUST A SHORT ANNOUNCEMENT- kasi baka akala niyo I am not replying o nakatulog na ako.I will be going to Korea on July 8 to 13 for a conference. So- pass muna ako. Not sure if I can have email access there- or time for email- Hwag kayong magtaka if you will not hear from me.
CHERRIE'S CORNER: Sorry gals! No word from Cherrie yet. Where are you? Why so quiet? Maybe I should ask Agent Sari to look for you.
SARI SPEAKS: Everyone will enjoy the Ontario, Canada classmates. Mahilig ding humagikgik tulad ng marami sa atin. We behaved like young HS students at the Food Court. Some people were looking at us. Buti naman walang may naka-kilala sa amin. - Baka ma-shock yong friends ng mga anak ni Rory & Tessie kung makita nila ang behavior ng parents and their friends na halakhak pa ng halakhak. At saka pwede palang ma out-number ng mga matandang dalaga yong may mga asawa; 3 vs 2 ang ratio kahapon.
We really had a great time. Ang ingay namin. After Esther and Tessie left, Esther, Rory & I continued our bonding. We went to Marriott Hotel where Girlie's sister works. We had dessert - treat ulit ni Girlie, who also treated us for lunch. - Picture #011 Sitting - Sari Valenzuela; Standing L to R: Rory Villanueva Agellon, Esther Lejano, & Tessie Ocampo Guerra.
Picture #012 - Girlie Rivera, Sari Valenzuela, Esther Lejano & Tessie Ocampo Guerra.
From Esther: Hi guys here are the pictures of our mini-reunion. That was really fun. We were like kids again, We should do it more often. Enjoy viewing our beautiful pictures. I have to email the photos in parts at baka hindi madala ng isang bitbitan.....he he he. See you all again pretty soon,
From Cora: Thanks for sending, Sari.I can see you really had so much fun. You were not only smiling - Kita lahat ng ngipin niyo- pati molars. As I said earlier- siguro busog kayo at masarap ang kinain niyo. I can recognize Tessie ocampo but where is Naty? Where in Toronto did you meet?
************************************************************************************* Here are comments about Aurora, a classmate who recently passed away:
From Sari: Please pray for the repose of the soul of our classmate, Aurora Fe Camacho. She died this early this week (Am not sure when exactly; Lani who informed me did not know either). Au (as she preferred to be called by friends) had been ill for sometime now and like Josie Agustin Viesca & Ampy Lejano Jonson, Au was in so much pain. All the 3 of them died from cancer; Perla Barretto Menguito also had cancer. May the souls of our departed classmates rest in peace; eternal rest and happiness grant unto them o Lord! Sari PS I attached Au's HS yearbook picture so you'll remember who she was.

From Tessie Castro-P: Am very sad to hear this news. Last time I saw Aurora was in October 2008 at her home, after her brief stay at the hospital. Perhaps I did not mention this to you (Celia, Gerri) at our last meeting because my impression was that she wanted to be quiet about her sickness. Every now and then, I called her long distance to say hello. She will surely be missed (especially at our next reunion). Any more details about her demise would be appreciated.
From Gerry: Au , we were told by her brother was an idealist, and was bitter about certain incidents in her life, some of which she shared with some of us. However, towards the end, she began to soften, accepted her fate which made things easier for her spiritually.
Strangely enough, even though her condition grew worst, towards the end, - according to her brother- she did not yet want to die.
Perhaps, according to a close friend, if she only took things seriously when she discovered something was not right with her health, it would not have gone this far. Perhaps, only perhaps, she would not have suffered for sooo long and her condition would have reversed.. But then, who are we to question God's plan for each one of us? Important thing is that towards the end, we look up to God as our Maker and be ready when He calls.
Au was very thoughtful. Despite her condition, she worried about her friends, making sure they received presents from her every Christmas . She would always
send us uraro, tinapa and whatnots wrapped up neatly in a package. Before her condition grew worst, she would invite us to the Manila Yacht Club from time to time.
"Grant Au rest in Your bosom oh Lord, and provide for her a seat in your banquet table, amen"
A reflection to share - Excerpts from Psalm 90: A prayer of Moses, the man of God
Lord, Thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations
Before the mountains were brought forth,
or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting though art God.

Thou turnest man back to the dust, and sayeth: "Turn back, O children of men!"
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past,
or as a watch in the night.

Thou dost sweep men away; they are like a dream,
like grass which is renewed in the morning;
in the morning it flourishes and is renewed;
in the evening it fades and withers....

No comments:

Post a Comment