Sunday, June 28, 2009

JUNIOR YEAR-1959

BY EBB,CHERRIE,CORA, PURI & SARI

"HINDI KITA MALIMOT, ALAALA KITA........."
EBB'S E-TALK- I snatched away the above sentimental line from an old love song. I thought it expresses the sentiment of our PWU blog. Here's featuring an old photo from our junior year-1959. Once again, a compliment from Sari. Hopefully this photo will jog our memories and will bring back those "gintong alaala" from high school days.

I am posting this tonight before leaving for a much awaited vacation tomorrow. My husband & I will be leaving for a trip to New York City. We have an early flight from LAX. We are leaving home as early as 4:00 a.m. to catch an early flight. We hope to arrive in NYC by 3:00 p.m. and spend 3 days there. Then we will catch a 4th-of-July -get-away-cruise with Queen Mary 2 to New England.

I am also excited to see Sari in person. I haven't seen her since high school graduation. Although we both went to U.P. during our college years, our paths never cross. So now we are meeting for dinner on the night of our arrival. I e-mailed her that "No Buffet!" I like buffet but since we will be taking a cruise later on I am against it. What happens and what we will be eating during dinner plus our chit-chats will be posted on this blog when I return.

"Akala ba ninyo kayo lang ang may 'Via Mare' diyan sa Pinas. Meron din naman kami dito. Ang version namin ay- 'Via Sari.' I am sure, walang 'dinuguan' doon."

Our blog topic this week is like my favorite Filipino dessert called "halo-halo. So enjoy our "halo-halo" blog - a mixture of thoughts & opinions about 65th birthdays, the joys of being a senior, merienda, etc. ,etc.
CHERRIE'S CORNER: chhhhhhh....chhhhh.....I have no idea where Cherrie is? Nasaan ka ba? Your corner is empty. Why so quiet this week?
CORA'S CHIT-CHAT:
From Roselani to Cora: Cora, sarap naman ng merienda niyo sa Via Mare, nakakagutom. I've been trying to lose weight but no can do! The more I try, the more I gain. I guess its in my system. I envy Sari, Lani, Lita, Gerri, balingkinitan sila. Kumakain kaya sila sa oras?
From: Cora to Roselani:
Yes- that afternoon of our meeting at Via Mare with Cherry and Gerry was nice. Ang sarap ng merienda. Di ko tuloy maala-ala kung ano ang pinag-usapan. At wala akong mairreport kay Puri kasi panay kain ang ginawa ko. Ay naku - control pa naman kunyari ng blood sugar. So -Puri- alam mo na ngayon. Patawad. Joke lang. Looking forward to another afternoon of Lumpiang Ubod, Dinuguan, Bibingka, and Bam-E. If we continue meeting regularly- come reunion time- we will be awarded "the most obese"
FOR OUR CLASSMATES NA FORENGERS NA (this is how we jokingly call FRIENDS FROM ABOARD (?) Pag uwi niyo - restaurant hopping would be a nice thing to do in Manila. Lots of nice restaurants to go to - and food tripping is highly recommended.One strategy is - mag reduce muna kayo ng weight before coming here. Anyway- you will easily regain that.... AND MORE!!!! Your dollars will come a long way. SEE YOU ALL SOON!!!
PAUMANHIN FROM PURI: Sorry, am busy with house guests since yesterday. I'll have to pass deadline for blog this week. Will try later. Ebb, have a fun and relaxing trip. Bon Voyage !
SARI SPEAKS: "Sorry walang storia si Sari ngayon. I am filling up her space. Masyadong busy sa "Name That Face" with our Senior Class photo. Contest silang dalawa ni Roselani. Ako naman nahilo na sa ka-e-edit nang mga correction na e-ni-e-mail nila. I am not joining the naming contest. The truth.... I couldn't even recognized myself from the photo. Maraming salamat ulit to Sari & Rose. Ang galing-galing nila sa mga pangalan. Magaling akong mag-blog pero sa pangalan....zero!!!!
BIRTHDAY GREETINGS TO BONG: Here are best wishes from classmates who will never forget you!!!!!
PAHABOL FROM SARI:
Hi ClassmateS/Friends,It's Bong's 65th B-day to day (6/26/2009)!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bong!!!! May you have more blessed b-days to come. - It's nice to have that chat with you early this morning (3AM NYC time) Love,Sari
PS If I remember it's your b-day, please do not mind me telling the world that it is; also that I would be proclaiming your age. 65 is something to celebrate. Here in the US, we officially become Seniors and start getting Medicare (medical insurance for elderly).
From Roselani: "Happy 65th Bong! Good health and happiness to you always. You're officially a senior citizen today........enjoy. Life has more beautiful things to offer." Warm regards.
Hi Guys, I turned 65 last February 3. Born 1944 like majority of you. Its great to be 65! I am enjoying the perks of a Senior citizen.
From Cora: "HAPPY 65TH BIRTHDAY, BONG!!!" It seems you are the first in our batch to celebrate this year - as many of us are turning 65 this year.TIME TO COUNT GOD'S MANY BLESSINGS.You have really been sooooooo blessed.This year - brings you in as member of the "TY FIVE" Club. Cheers!!!
From Puri: I think I was the first to reach that honorable age. I turned 65 last Dec 8, 2008. Proud to be a Medicare and SS beneficiary. And Senior discounts just about everywhere. I used to dread its advent but am now reaping its benefits. Happy birthday Bong ! Welcome to CLUB 65 !!!!!
From Evelyne (Ebb):I think, I was the first to reach this "sexy sixty" age. I turned 65 last September 29, 2008. Like Puri I am proud and happy to be an official SS beneficiary. Yes, lots of senior discounts. Tuesday is always a busy shopping day for me. That's the day when many stores give senior discounts. I am either at Bristol Farm, Stein Mart or at Ross shopping."Happy Birthday Bong! And welcome to the 65 circle!
From Evelyn Nazareth Zabala: It's funny that now everyone's trying to get the honor of being the first one to turn 65! Before we always said "--TY nine". Maybe we should give a prize at the reunion for the first alumna to turn 65 as well as the youngest. I'm in the running for the youngest- I'll officially turn senior in Jan 22, 2010. Anybody else younger than me?
Speaking of senior discounts, did you know that most KFC stores will give you a free soda if you say the magic word, "Senior"? Other fast food places like McD, just give you a discount. If you don't know, just ask, and it shall be given (sometimes).
From Puri: Now, I remember, I think the winner is Hana Gomez Trinidad. She turned 65 on Sept 1st 2008, then Evelyne Sept 29, then Lita Ramos on Nov.17, then me on Dec 8 , then Celia Dec10, so far. I'm honorable mention.
Yes I enjoy all those discounts, even at the movies. Most restaurants like Denny's, International House of Pancakes, Marie Callendar, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc, they all have Senior Meals everyday.
FYI From Sari: - we have former classmates who were born in 1942. Kaya older than Hana pa. I think Tita Ang is one of them. Gerry (10/3) and Marilin (10/23) are also 1943 born. I believe Vicky Saldana is also a 1943 product, if not 1942. Marami pang iba kasi hina-lughog ko yong dates sa yearbook long before I sent it to Esther. - Ms. Uzi(sera) talaga.
From Evelyn (Evza): I suggested to Sari that maybe we should send our birthdates to her so she can keep track of it. Then the list can be distributed to all. We're all getting there.
Cora, who are the other members of the "TY FIVE" club? I assume it means "----ty xx" when we don't want to specify exactly how many decades, right? Are you a member?
From Sari: Hi Evelyn,That's a good suggestion to post b-days! I remember that among our classmates, Perla and you are the youngest - born in 1945. I know Bong's b-day because Bong, Celia, Cherrie, Cora, Gerry, Lani, Linda, Puri and I have kept in touch. There is something about me that remembers b-days. For instance, this sounds weird. On June 23rd, when looking to identify faces, I thought of Marilin F. Arellano. There was something about the 23rd that made me ask if it was her b-day that day; or if it's Oct 23. That evening, I spoke with Esther who had finally received my yearbook. I asked her to look up Marilin's b-day. It's Oct. 23. That's my weirdness. Birthdays somehow pop in my head if I knew them at some point of my life. Weird na weird talaga. Cora's weirdness is remembering songs; mine is remembering b-days.
From Cora: HI Everybody!!!It looks like a lot of this conversation happened lasy night (Philippine time) when I was asleep. And to think I was up till past 1:00 A.M. - looks like- the moment I slept - all of you naman were on the computer. And everyone talking about age.Funny how Bong's 65th birthday focused on age.Of course- we salute you Bong - for all your achievements.Women talaga tayo. Birthdays to us, is equated with age. As for me- I consider ALL OF US LUCKY that God has given us these many years. Many of our classmates were not as blessed- and had to go back to our Creator sooner.
UZI talaga yang si Sari. Kaya mahirap magkaila diyan.Her "weirdness" over birthdays is remarkable. Me naman I have two kinds of "weirdness". One is SONGS, as Sari mentioned. I remember a lot of the tunes and lyrics of songs. before- kahit 2 notes pa lang alam ko na kung anong song yun. And I guess up to this date- I would still remember a lot of the songs when we were high school. Name your favorite and I can write the lyrics.
Sari's favorite was Frank Sinatra's "Close to You". Mine was "Smile" and " Once in a While"
From Marlene: Hello to everyone,I cannot stand by in the side line any more. I love all the email exchanges that you wrote but I am darn lazy to comment. I was born in July 18,1943. I have my own recollections of the good High School days. I recall Sari as one of the benchers.We used to watch the Bayanihan practised. Roselani I remembered we watch the student canteen with Girlie and the others. My Parents never knew that I played hookey. I could name a few more. I will save them for later. I guessed I am the oldest that you have mentioned. Love the blog. Have a few pictures to share. Will send tthem later.Missed you all these years. Yes we are all blessed to live this long and recall the good old days. Love you all.
To BONG!!!! We hope when you read this blog that you'll say something!!!!!!!!!!!!Please don't be so quiet.

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS DOWN BELOW. We invite everybody to participate. FROM SARI. "Sana more of our classmates will look at the Blog. Kahit gaano seemingly unaffected ang tao (tulad ni Melania - smile!) may reaction. Lani apparently enjoys what she has read. I think she'll enjoy it more once she figures out how to access the Blog. However, more fun if many more will write something about themselves. Otherwise, nakakasawang basahin kung 5 persons lang ang dada ng dada. Mas maraming madada sa atin besides the 5 of us.
FROM CORA: Nice to recall the days ng mga kababalaghan. Why are others so quiet?I think possible reasons why others are quiet are: 1. Mabait sila nuon pa- and they never realized there were all these mischief going on. They did not realize till now that we had so much fun- at sila ay aral lang ng aral. 2. Hindi sila mabait- pero until now- ayaw sila umamin and would not want to "share" stories of their escapades. 3. Up to now- hindi pa rin sila marunong mag-email. Mga silent classmates- alin dito and tutuoo?FUN LANG ITO. We are just looking back at those days- just to put us in a HOMECOMING mode - enough reason for everyone to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment