Thursday, October 15, 2009

65th BIRTHDAY & BIO OF ESTHER LEJANO

"How does one keep from "growing old inside"? Surely only in community. The only way to make friends with time is to stay friends with people…. Taking community seriously not only gives us the companionship we need, it also relieves us of the notion that we are indispensable. "-Robert McAfee Brown
EBB'S E-TALK: Hello every one from Chula Vista, San Diego (California, U.S.A.). I am back and glad to be electronically connected again. There were many trials and errors. Some computer files and photos disappeared. I have to find out how to recover them. The good news, my e-mail address is unchanged.
For me moving to a new city is overwhelming especially during our golden years. It's not a piece of cake but it's an exciting experience. When I wake up in the morning, I feel so fresh and alive. Sleeping in a new bedroom and using a different bathroom is nice although sometimes very confusing. Many of my things are no longer in the same spot. Life is funny because right now, I have 3 toothbrushes. One on my travel bag, one on the bedroom drawer and one in the bathroom. It's good to have extras when I couldn't remember where I place my favorite toothbrush.
When I opened my inbox yesterday it was overwhelming too. Life is truly full of lights and shadows. I agree that real life is mixed with happy and sad events. Many times bad events come in bunches or waves. I am sorry to hear about the death of a past classmate and some natural disasters in the Philippines. Here in San Diego we are also coping with the sudden death of a good and long time friend (Dr. Riz Oades) who was a prominent figure among the Filipino-American community here in San Diego. He died from complications from colon cancer. He co-founded the Kalusugan Community Services with my sister Dr. Ofelia Dirige. Yesterday we attended his funeral. Over the years when we come to San Diego we had many unforgettable dinners with him and my sister. Our move here to S.D. was so timely at this sad and stressful times. We are living with my sister and providing comfort and company. We are also doing voluntary work at the KCS Center, sorting out tons of paper works and writings left by the deceased. Speaking of double sorrow, I am saddened to hear about Precy. I will always remember her as a good seatmate and classmate. In high school class we were often arranged alphabetically- Conde, Dirige and then Dizon. During our senior year she gave me a sophisticated (ma-arte na) photo of herself. I still have it attached to my old h.s. autograph. I will share it once I found the box in the storage. Those of us who are blessed with longer lives should continue to move forward despite of many obstacles along the way. Many thanks to classmates who called, e-mailed news, sent flowers, greetings and gave moral support to Precy & family. I admire the cooperative, caring and loving spirits of our class 1960.
On the brighter side, there are happy events like birthdays. Belated "Happy Birthdays" to Esther and Gerry. Coming up are photos from Esther's birthday celebration at the Mandarin Restaurant in Canada. This blog space is dedicated to Esther Lejano for her untiring efforts in scanning our senior class photos which we enjoyed looking back. Thanks again Esther for a well done job. On the other hand, although Esther remained single, she's happy with her many nieces and nephews as shown below. "Happy birthday' also to our latest celebrants-Cherrie and Tessie CP. Advance b-day greeting to Sari on Oct. 3oth.
SHARING BY SARI'S: Hi Evelyne, I know you will not read any e-mail while you up there vacationing in Colorado. However, I want to make sure I send you Esther's bio. We must congratulate Esther. Paki include a not acknowledging that Esther was responsible for scanning our HS pictures; thanks to her we all have a before picture.
BIO BY ESTHER LEJANO: I HAVE LIVED IN TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA SINCE APRIL OF 1974 BUT LIVED IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA FOR TWO YEARS BEFORE MOVING TO CANADA AND BECAME A CANADIAN CITIZEN IN 1978. I WORKED WITH SEVERAL COMPANIES AND MY LAST JOB WAS AT THE CLARK INSTITUTE OF PSYCHIATRY UNTIL I RETIRED. AFTER I RETIRED I BECAME A TRAVELLING NANNY TO MY GRAND NEPHEWS AND NIECES IN THE UNITED STATES. ALTHOUGH I NEVER GOT MARRIED AND NEVER HAD CHILDREN OF MY OWN I EXPERIENCED WHAT ALL MOTHERS WENT THROUGH (EXCEPT GIVING BIRTH) TAKING CARE OF THEIR CHILDREN. I LOVE AND ENJOY BEING SINGLE.......I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT, WHENEVER I WANT TO AND I CAN GO WHEREVER I PLEASE WITHOUT ASKING THE PERMISSION OF SOMEBODY. I LOVE TO TRAVEL, PLAY PC GAMES, SURFING THE INTERNET, DANCING AND TALKING FOR HOURS ON THE PHONE WITH MY FRIENDS. I ENJOY AND LOVE TO WATCH SPORTS ON TV LIKE TENNIS, BASKETBALL (SPECIALLY WHEN THE LAKERS ARE PLAYING) AND GOLF WHEN TIGER WOODS IS PLAYING).
I LISTEN TO JAZZ, EASY LISTENING AND BLUES MUSIC WHILE I AM READING MY FAVORITE BOOK OR DOING MY FACEBOOK IN THE COMPUTER.
ATTACHED PICTURE:
MY GRANDNEPHEWS AND NIECES

IN JOY AND IN SORROW:
Forwarding a photo that Esther sent showing how Precy looked as a grown woman. Precy was the one wearing a
white blouse sitting next to Esther. We will surely miss her come reunion time on February 20, 2010.

Till next blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment