Saturday, January 9, 2010

ELOISA DIZON FARRALES













DR. ELOISA DIZON:
PWU Class 1960
From Ebb: She's one classmate I will never forget despite of not seeing her for fifty years. Why? Who could forget one who was always seated next to me in high school class. Most of the time we were seated together alphabetically.....Dirige......then Dizon...etc. Like me Eloi was very quiet back in high school. I had no idea that someday she would be a successful doctor.
Here's her short refreshed bio: I went to UP for a Bachelor of Science degree, was there at the same time as Ebb,Cora,Linda, Sari although we did not see each other. I had no social life at that time, it was a very competitive atmosphere,just focused on getting good grades to get into the College of Medicine. Luckily,I made it and graduated in 1969 . I finished a pediatric residency at Phil. General Hospital, Manila and went to the US on the exchange visitor program . After a year of working in pediatrics,my kids and I were getting sick all the time from me bringing home the bugs from all the sick kids I was seeing , I decided to go into and finished a residency in Psychiatry .I thought mental illness was not contagious. I had expected to stay for a couple of years in the US but martial law happened so I decided to wait until it was over,but it took 20 years and I had reached the point of no return. I lived in Chicago for 30 years, I was medical director of the dept of> psychiatry at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Chicago and medical adviser to the Social Security Administration for 17 years.
I have been married to Rodrigo "Jun"Farrales for 37 years. Jun was my classmate in med school, he did his premed at Ateneo de Manila and is a diehard Atenean. In 2005 after he retired from his Child psychiatry practice, We started to do volunteer work , joined medical missions to the Phil. and did part time work in California and at the same time enjoy the weather and all that California offers. We have been in various places in California,all the places Puri Knows. For the past year we have been working at Atascadero State hospital. This is a forensic hospital which means all the patients are either criminals or not guilty by reason of insanity. We both consider this our" giving back "phase. When all this working is over, we plan to retire in Las Vegas. and continue with medical mission work. I have 2 sons, EricK is a lawyer,MBA married to another lawyer,, Roel is an MD and is an emergency room doctor at St Francis Hospital in San Francisco and Daly City. He is single and looking. I still have not been blessed with grandchildrenThat in a nutshell is how I spent the past 50 years. It seems that time went by so fast, I still have many things I want to do.
************************************************************************************* A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO PWU CLASS 1960 - BY Cora Fausto Gatchallian
To the long lost and newly found
To those who were never lost and were always there - in touch all these years
To those who we might still find within the next few weeks
To those in 'Labor Pains" as Puri aptly put it
To those who can not attend the reunion - you will be with us in spirit
Prayers to those who have left us for another world.

I have high hopes for 2010 - and it begins with a wonderful gift- that of seeing former classmates of 50 years ago - having a great time, bonding, praying together and thanking the Lord for allowing us still to be around to celebrate this wonderful occasion.
Looking forward to seeing you all in Bali Hai!!!Cora

No comments:

Post a Comment