Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Friend Girlie Rivera

















WRITTEN BY ROSELANI BLANCAFLOR MARIANO:
It is with great pleasure that I write about my dear friend, Teresita Rivera, Girlie as we fondly call her. Girlie and I have been friends since first year high school. She was one of the first classmates that I became friends with when I transferred to PWU. The four Rivera sisters are all PWU high school students, and university graduates, including their mother, Mrs. Loreto Palis Rivera. All the seven Rivera brothers and sisters attended JASMS as well. Puedeng sabitan ng medalya for being true and loyal to PWU.
After high school graduation, Girlie and I remained close to one another. I was a frequent “bwisitor” at the Rivera household and came to call her mother “mommy”. I became a part of the family, and in the Rivera household, then and now, there is never a dull moment. The funny stories are never ending, giggles and laughters fills the air. You can feel the love and respect that the siblings have for one another, and a visiting friend would always feel welcome, and entertained by the whole clan.
Girlie is a good dancer. It was Girlie who taught me how to dance the boogie, and other dance craze that came after. She and her older brother Vic were my instructors. Every new dance craze, name it, brother and sister always at hand to show you the latest dance steps. We were always partying with Girlie as the party organizer. Can’t resist putting that big smile on my face when I recall those wonderful years
Girlie graduated with a degree in Bachelors of Science in Liberal Arts at PWU. In 1974 she left for Canada to join her younger sisters, Carmelita and Evelyn. In Canada she worked with the Montreal Trust and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. A couple of years after, Girlie decided to switch and work in a travel agency. She has been on the same job for 25 years. Girlie has remained single but have a long time beau of 27 years named Ed. Don’t blame Ed, it is Girlie’s wish not to get married, and Ed has been very patient in adhering to her wishes. Mommy Loreto mentioned to me a couple of times in the past (before she passed on) that Girlie did not want to be separated from her siblings, and her family. Girlie’s devotion to her family is super overwhelming, very unique indeed. Ed at this time is still hoping that Girlie will finally say YES to him. Incidentally, I have yet to meet Ed. I know his name, their relationship but have not met him in person. Cheers to Ed for being such an understanding, patient, and loving guy to my dear friend.
The Rivera family holds their yearly reunion in Virginia at the home of their youngest sibling, Ding. Invited or not, I join them whenever I can. Last August, Sari and I made plans to drive from New York to Virginia. Unfortunately I fell ill
and could not travel, Sari ended up not going as well.
My friendship with Girlie is the kind of friendship that even if we are thousand of miles apart, the bonding is there, tightly sealed. A true BFF (Best Friends Forever). I love you friend.

1 comment:

  1. How sweet.......kailangan magpahigop ka na ng sabaw........

    ReplyDelete