Sunday, January 3, 2010

ERLINDA CHACON BAISA

WRITE-UP BY ERLINDA CHACON BAISA:
I was born on 6 December 1942 to Cecilio Chacon of Cagayan de Oro City and Gregoria Baisas of Paete, Laguna. Sadly, I had no siblings. I was never spoiled by my parents though, that was one of my blessings.
I grew up happily in a world of music and dancing. My parents were good dancers. They won in competitions in then Sky Room, Manila Hotel’s Winter Garden and many other places, several of which I witnessed as young member of the audience. There were times when there were no available babysitters so I had to tag along. My father was my partner in my first dance when I was only 15 years old. I recall how proud he was as he led me to the dancefloor. My mother watched amusingly as she saw how nervous I was. My father whispered to me, “Smile!”
As I pursued my Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service Course at UP, my parents tended a convenience store at the ground floor of our family home at 6th Avenue, Caloocan City after my father’s retirement from the City Assessors’ Office at Manila City Hall. I had to stay at the Banahaw Residence Hall on UP campus on weekdays owing to the distance between our residence and the university.
My father passed away when I was a sophomore. I applied for student assistantship at UP’s Office of Student Affairs where I was luckily accepted to support my mother and be able to continue my studies. I met my husband at that office. We had a good relationship at that time. My mother thought he was the best man for me so she readily gave her approval when he proposed marriage.
I married Leonardo Baisa, an accountant who later transferred to Sycip, Gorres, Velayo & Co, on 7 December 1963. We were blessed with a daughter, Rowena, and 3 years later, a son, Eric. Due to irreconciliable differences, my children and I decided to separate from him. I thought it was the only way to have peace of mind – for himself, the children and myself.
I brought up Rowena and Eric by myself without any help from anyone..... the three of us were happy inspite of occasional difficulties arising from being the sole breadwinner and the physical absence of a father figure for my children. With God’s help, we enjoyed a very normal, comfortable family life while I was posted in several countries as a diplomat. Rowena and Eric both graduated in Sydney with marketing and graphic designing degrees, respectively.
I joined the Department of Foreign Affairs as a young clerk in 1967. My first assignment was at then Philippine Embassy in Taipei, Taiwan where I was secretary to the ambassador for 7 ½ years. I felt lucky in having been part of the team that closed our diplomatic mission in 1975 following the Philippines’ One-China Policy. I stayed in Manila for almost 5 years for my children’s uninterrupted study at JASMS-Malate.

In 1980, I was assigned to the Philippine Consulate General in Sydney, Australia as Cultural Officer, then as Vice Consul-Cultural Officer. I completed 8 years in this post. After my recall for home office duties, I was designated Director for Culture and Information at DFA’s Office of ASEAN Affairs.
In 1991, I was sent to the Philippine Embassy in Athens, Greece as Second Secretary and Consul. I was crossposted to our embassy in Seoul, South Korea in 1994 in the same capacity. I was promoted to First Secretary before I returned to Manila in 1997. I returned to the Office of ASEAN Affairs and was again designated Director for Culture and Information. This position gave me much satisfaction as I was sent to the different ASEAN member countries and worked with my peers on various big cultural activities, such as ASEAN Film Week, ASEAN Song Festival, etc. I enjoyed them immensely as I interacted with ASEAN countries’ representatives/participants.
In 2001, I was assigned as First Secretary and Consul General to Hanoi, Vietnam. I consider this as my most interesting foreign posting. My 6 ½ years in Vietnam were most fulfilling as Vietnam assumed a very prominent role within ASEAN.
I retired from Philippine Government service on 6 December 2007. After completing usual clearances at DFA, I proceeded to Sydney, Australia and became a permanent resident. I took up advance computer course for a year to relax my mind. Then I did a part-time job as administrative assistant at a lawyer’s office. I completed a course on marriage celebrancy leading to obtaining a license as a Professional Civil Celebrant on 2 June 2009.
I say without batting an eyelid that there is so much happy and good life in retirement. God has been extremely kind to me.

2 comments:

  1. Affiliate Marketing is a performance based sales technique used by companies to expand their reach into the internet at low costs. This commission based program allows affiliate marketers to place ads on their websites or other advertising efforts such as email distribution in exchange for payment of a small commission when a sale results.


    www.onlineuniversalwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your course po... Foreign Service... Would you please tell me something about that course? I really want to take your course, but I don't know the course very well....

    Please help me po.... :-)

    ReplyDelete