Thursday, December 31, 2009

Colorful Life Of Marilin Fernandez Arellano


















(1960) PWU H.S.
I spent my kindergarten years all the way to 3rd year high school at Maryknoll College. I probably stuck out like a sore thumb when I moved to PWU in my senior year. The move was instigated by my parents and was not my choice. They thought that if I could get accepted into the Bayanihan Dance Troupe, it was a way of keeping me apart from my then-boyfriend. The plan backfired and simply hastened my marriage to Chuckie in Aug.'59. We eloped which was the reason I disappeared from school for awhile. That explains why I remember so little about our senior year. My head was totally up in the clouds and it was difficult to focus. In Nov.'59, I discovered I was pregnant. I recall feeling nauseous during our senior prom and graduation rites.
I had my 1st child, a boy, at age 16, followed by another boy and a girl. However, my oldest son passed away at the age of 6. Raising my 2 other children, Noel and Cherry, took up most of my time. But when Cherry turned 3, I decided to go back to school. I finished my degree of Bachelor of Fine Arts major in Interior Design at UST. I immediately proceeded to set up my own private practice and did residential, commercial, restaurants, hotels, condominiums, offices and other projects. Apart from this, I taught in several Phil. schools- School of Interior Design, Assumption Convent, Maryknoll College and Karilagan School of Interior Design. I attempted to take a master's course at Ateneo - but could not finish it due to the many pressures of work. Occasionally, I served as juror for thesis deliberations at College of the Holy Spirit and La Consolacion College- Bacolod.
My 2 older children, Noel, finished architecture at UP and has an MBA in Construction Mgmnt. from Golden Gate
University. He is married to Loida Lopez and they have a 19 year old son, Budz, currently in his 2nd year at Ateneo taking up Chemistry with Materials Science & Engineering. My daughter, Cherry took up Behavioral Science at Maryknoll and then proceeded to take up Veterinary Medicine at UP. During a sabbatical in Europe, she met her husband Sylvain Mignon in Paris and has lived there since. They have a 4 year old daughter, Samantha who is now in pre-school.
However, my marriage to Chuckie broke up in 1980. I decided to move to the USA in 1983, specifically the Bay Area- San Francisco, Daly City, Pacifica, San Bruno and South San Francisco. I bought a business and at the same time attended classes at San Francisco Academy of Art. I was also a licensed California real estate broker. In 1988, I sold the business and decide to work as a designer for J.C. Penney. I remarried in 1990 and had a "miracle baby" at the ripe young age of 48- a daughter we named Megan Marie. But that marriage didn't work out either. I then decided to come back home for good in 1993 to raise Megan as a single Mom.Upon my return from the USA, I was hired by Rustan's Commercial Corp. as Merchandise Mgr. for its Home Division. Simultaneously, I was appointed to serve the Professional Regulation Commission as Board Examiner for the Board ot Interior Design. I served in that capacity for 8 years. I am still an active member of the Phil. Institute of Interior Designers and a life-time member of the Professional Assn. of Board Examiners.

Megan is on her 2nd year at the University of St. La Salle taking up Hospitality Mgmnt. I have kept busy by involving myself in school activities since Grade 1 to the present. I am currently Vice-Chair of the Parent Teacher Council. I belong to a prayer community and am a member of a Carmelite community group called Lover's of St. Therese. I still do design projects pro-bono. I get invitations to speak on interior design and other related topics before select groups. Gardening is another creative outlet for me. Travelling is something I enjoy which I do when able. Tai-chi is my way of keeping fit.
When we returned from the US, purely out of the goodness and generosity of his heart, Chuckie took it upon himself to care for us. He took Megan in as if she were his own.
It has not been the fairy-tale life I envisioned at 15, but on the whole, life has been good, inspite of the roller coaster ride. The experiences have made me stronger and hopefully a better person. At this stage of my life, my greatest realization is that family is the most important. There is nothing I would take back or change in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment