Monday, December 7, 2009

REFRESH BIOS OF TESS M

During my session with our Guidance Counselor, I told her I wanted to be a doctor, not out of a long held dream or ardent interest, but because I had an uncle who was one; and since he graduated from UST, I just quite naturally enrolled there, too. Pre-Med which I did in 3 instead of 4 years was generic, except of course for all Math related subjects! Medicine Proper had it's own challenges too. After graduation in 1968, I practised as a Civilian M.D. at Fort Bonifacio Army Station Hosp. and tended to a small clinic at home. I met Romulo of Moncada, Tarlac through his Med.Tech. cousin at the hospital, we married in 1970 and had my daughter Madelene in 1971.

I arrived in Ohio in 1972 under the Exchange Visitors Program, for Internship and 1 year of Gen. Practice Residency. In 1974 I had a stint as a House Physician in the same hospital after the program folded, I passed the Licensing Boards; and had my son Mel. I did a few months of Psychiatric Res. in Michigan, then packed up and moved to Chicago in 1976. I started my 25 years plus career at Elgin Mental Health Center in 1977. During the intervening years I became a Diplomate of the American Board of Family Practice in 1978-1985; had moved to 2 houses, saw my 2 children graduate from college and start their careers and families. I took early retirement in 2002 but worked for additional months at the same hospital on contractual basis. A few months later, I became antsy, did not want to go back to Medicine so I did something utterly different. I worked at Panera---what an eye opening and enlightening experience that was. Romy and I also baby-sat our infant grand-daughter full-time for almost a year. We moved to our present house almost 5 years ago, our 3rd in Bartlett since 1978 and plan to spend the rest of our days here so we can stay close to relatives and friends. The community suits us, Chicago's amenities are only an hour drive away and we love the beauty of the 4 seasons. I am out of the paying workplace for several years now, but remain on call for, "hey Ma , can you watch the kids; hey Ma, can you pick up Lia" etc. I enjoy gardening and the activities of my Garden Club, volunteer once a week at the local library and check out loads of reading materials and DVDs with subtitle due to my severe hearing loss; participate in parish activities and some Pilipino events in the immediate area. We have traveled some and hope to do more as circumstances allow. My family have grown now to include 4 adorable grand children, with Romy and I enjoying our golden years with them.. This is my life in a nutshell, not very exciting but satisfying enough. I have many things to be thankful for and to look forward to, one of those is to remain in touch with you!

Tessie LM

No comments:

Post a Comment